by: Mohammad Najeeb Qasmi*
In UMRAH four deeds are to be done, these are;
1) To wear IHRAAM from the MEEQAAT reciting Talbiyah: لَبَّيْك، اَللّهُمَّ لَبَّيْك، لا شَرِيْكَ لَكَ لَبَّيْك، إنَّ الْحَمْدَ وَالنِّعْمَةَ لَكَ وَالْمُلْك لاَ شَرِيْكَ لَك
2) To do TAWAAF after reaching the MASJID-e-HARAAM.
3) To do SA’EE between SAFA and MARWA hillocks.
4) To shave or cut the hair of head.
Before or after reaching the MEEQAAT wear IHRAAM after taking bath or making ablution (WUZOO). There are two sheets of white cloth in IHRAAM, one is tied round the waist and the other is put on the shoulders. After wearing IHRAAM offer two RAK’AT NAFIL, intend for UMRAH and read the TALBIYAH three times a little loudly. With the reading of TALBIYAH your IHRAAM is started.
Note: There is no specific cloth for the women, they have to wear any dress after taking bath or making ablution, remove the cloth from their faces, intend for UMRAH and read the TALBIYAH slowly.
Forbidden deeds for men and women after IHRAAM: Using perfume, to cut or get the hair or nails cut, to cover the face, to do intercourse or to do hugging and kissing, to prey animals, to wear such shoes which cover the middle bone of the feet.
Forbidden deeds for men only: Wearing the stitched clothes and covering the head with either the cap or the sheet.
Makroohaat of IHRAAM: Removing dirt from the body, using soap, combing the hair, using pins etc in the IHRAAM or tying the IHRAAM with thread.
Keep reciting TALBIYAH a little loudly till you reach Masjid-e-Haraam. As it is the best ZIKR in the state of IHRAAM. After reaching Makkah put your belongings at hotel or a safe place, take bath or make ablution and go straight to perform UMRAH.
Enter the Masjid-e-Haraam peacefully and with great respect by putting your right foot inside the Masjid after reciting the DU’A of entering the Masjid (اللهم افتح لي ابواب رحمتك). When you see the KA’BA for the first time ask Allah the Almighty anything you want after praising Him and reciting His greatness.
Come to the corner of the KA’BA where HAJR-e-ASWAD is fixed in the MATAAF (the courtyard where TAWAAF is performed) and intend for the TAWAAF of UMRAH. Men are supposed to do IDHTIBAA’ (putting the sheet of the IHRAAM on the left shoulder after crossing it from under the armpit of the right hand). Then kiss the HAJR-e-ASWAD if possible, otherwise point your hands towards it say بسم الله الله أكبر and start TAWAAF by keeping KA’BA on your left. While doing TAWAAF put your eyes in front of you and don’t put your chest or back towards KA’BA. Men are supposed to do RAML (keep shoulders moving and walk a little fast with short steps haughtily). While passing through the third corner of the KA’BA, which is called RUKN-e-YAMAANI, put your both or just the right hand on it, if possible otherwise pass through it without pointing towards it. Recite this DU’A in between HAJR-e-ASWAD and RUKN-e-YAMAANI; (ربنا آتنا في الدنيا حسنة وفيالآخرة حسنة وقنا عذاب النار). Then after reaching HAJR-e-ASWAD point your palms towards it and recite بسم الله الله أكبر and kiss your palms. Your one round is completed, now complete the remaining six rounds also in the same way. After finishing the TAWAAF, offer two RAK’AT behind MAQAAM-e-IBRAHEEM if you get the place easily otherwise offer anywhere in the MASJID and drink ZAM-ZAM water. Then go to the SAFA hillock after once more kissing the HAJR-e-ASWAD or pointing your both hands towards it.
It is better to say:ان الصفا والمروة من شعائر الله after reaching SAFA, then keep your face towards the KA’BA, praise Allah, recite DAROOD, pray as much as you can by lifting your hands and simply move towards MARWA. Men are supposed to run a little between the green pillars. After reaching MARWA, pray as much as you can by lifting your hands. Your first round of SA’EE is completed. Move towards SAFA from MARWA in the same manner, your second round will be completed. The seventh round will be completed at MARWA. Every time you reach SAFA or MARWA, you should pray.
Note: It does not matter, if SA’EE is delayed after the completion of TAWAAF. Recite this DU’Aرب اغفر وارحم، انك انت الاعز الاكرم also if you remember during SA’
4) Shaving or cutting the hair of head
After the completion of SA’EE get the hair of your head shaved or cut, shaving the head is better for men. While the women are supposed either to cut themselves or get it cut by any of their MAHRAM, only the last portion of their plait.
Note: Some people remove their IHRAAM by cutting only a little hair from two or three sides, remember it is not allowed. The men doing this must have to slaughter an animal. Rather get your head shaved or get it cut in such a way that almost each and every hair is cut.
Now your UMRAH is complete, remove your IHRAAM. As long as you are in MAKKAH keep doing NAFIL TAWAAF, you can do another UMRAHS also but it is better to do TAWAAF.
Some important MASAA’IL:
1. If you passed through MEEQAAT without IHRAAM, you can wear it anywhere afterwards but slaughtering an animal is obligatory for you in this way.
2. It is allowed to sleep by using pillow or by putting another sheet or blanket on the IHRAAM worn by you.
3. While in the state of IHRAM, one can take bath by removing it and can change it.
4. Doing TAWAAF is not allowed without ablution while it is not necessary for Sa`ee.
5. Women can’t do TAWAAF while they are menstruating.
6. During TAWAAF and SA`EE pray whatever you like either in Arabic or in your own language or recite the Quran. There is no compulsory or specific Dua for each round.
7. The shoulder should be covered in the Namaz, IDHTEBA` is Sunnat in TAWAAF only.
8. If the congregational prayer is started during TAWAAF or SA`EE or you get tired leave TAWAAF and SA`EE then start afterwards from where you have left.
9. Whether you are doing Nafli or Farz TAWAAF don’t` forget to offer 2 Raka`t TAWAAF after its completion.
10. There is no proof of Nafli SA`EE.
11. One can talk if needed during TAWAAF.
12. RAML & IDHTEBA` are Sunnat for the men only during TAWAAF.
* Mohammad Najeeb Qasmi is based in Riyadh and can be accessed at: firstname.lastname@example.org;