Mualana Salahuddin Qasmi
Internet Dept, Darul Uloom Deoband
Book Title: ‘Darul Uloom Deoband ka Itihas’
Compiled by: Maulana Muhammadullah Qasmi
Translated by: Professor Muhammad Sulaiman
Published by: Maktaba Darul Uloom Deoband
YoP: 2012 / 1433 Hijri
It is pleasing news that that history of Darul Uloom Deoband in Hindi language entitled ‘Darul Uloom Deoband ka Itihas’ has been published on the 151st foundation day of the Islamic University. The book covers the 150 years’ history of Darul Uloom Deoband.
Darul Uloom Deoband is not only a seminary of religious education but also is an international centre of Islamic culture, civilization and religious training. Its graduates are scattered all over the world and the followers of Deoband school of thought are found everywhere around the globe. This is the reason that people from every nook and corner of India as well as from abroad are attracted towards Darul Uloom. Not only learned persons, research scholars rather common Muslims, Non-Muslims, representatives of the governments, media persons, delegations of Arab and non-Arab countries flock to see with their own eyes. The visitors and devotees naturally have some questions in their minds regarding the history of Darul Uloom Deoband.
Keeping this necessity in mind, it was felt to write a comprehensive introduction of Darul Uloom Deoband in several languages specially Urdu, Arabic, English and Hindi in order to let the world and Muslims know the history and magnificent past of this Islamic Universitys For his very purpose, Maulana Muhammadullah Qasmi (Coordinator Internet Dept.) compiled a concise but inclusive introduction of Darul Uloom Deoband which was translated by Professor Muhammad Sulaiman in Hindi language.
The book very precisely and concisely describes the accounts of Darul Uloom Deoband expanding over 150 years. It comprises of the following 8 chapters:
(1) Establishment and Background: this chapter describes the post 1857 situation when Darul Uloom was established and the Indian Muslim Community was facing its worst in the subcontinent.
(2) Timeline of 150 years of Darul Uloom: this covers the chronological events of Darul Uloom from 1866 to 2012.
(3) School of Thought: this discusses the school of thought of Deoband and the maslak of the Ulama of Deoband along with the fundamental principles and regulation on which Darul Uloom relies.
(4) Management and Administration: this chapter mentions in detail how Darul Uloom’s educational and academic activities are carried out. In this regard, it includes the description of Darul Uloom’s administrative, educational and academic departments.
(5) Educational System and Curriculum: this chapter focuses mainly on the educational system of Darul Uloom and outlines the characteristics of its Curriculum along with the details of syllabus books.
(6) Achievements and Contributions: this chapter highlights the contributions and achievements of Darul Uloom and mentions how Darul Uloom protected the Islamic heritage and emerged as the centre of Islam in the subcontinent, and how it reformed the society, promoted education and served the country.
(7) Visitor’s Impression: here you can see the impressions of the visitors from India as well as outside most of whom are world renowned personalities.
(8) Darul Uloom Personalities: The last chapter contains accounts of Darul Uloom’s founders, vice-chancellors and principles as it enlists the prominent post-holders of Darul Uloom along with its prominent alumni and Ulama of Darul Uloom Deoband in different fields.
The book was published by Maktaba Darul Uloom, the publishing unit of Darul Uloom. The language of the book is very simple and easy to understand for common masses. Hopefully, the book will help people to be aware of Darul Uloom Doeband and it will serve as reference book for the research scholars and writers.
It is also pleasing that work is in progress to prepare concise history of Darul Uloom Deoband in other languages as well like Urdu, Arabic and English which will be available very soon, in sha-Allah!
May Allah help this seminary prosper forever!
Comments are closed.